Nannies and Brexit

Thanks to our partners at Nannytax for providing this vital employment information.

If a nanny from the EU or Switzerland has lived in the UK for 5 or more years, they may apply for a Permanent Residence Document. If they’ve lived in the UK for less than 5 years, they may apply for a Registered Certificate.

Living in the UK for at least 5 years will usually automatically qualify you for permanent residence states, provided you’re doing one of the following:

  • working
  • studying
  • self-employed
  • self-sufficient
  • looking for work

You can include close family members in your application if they also qualify for permanent residence.

Close family members include your:

  • spouse or civil partner
  • child or grandchild
  • parent or grandparent

You can also include extended family members in your application if they are dependent on you or if they were a member of your household before coming to the UK, as long as these circumstances are still relevant.

Extended family members include your:

  • unmarried partner
  • brother or sister
  • aunt or uncle
  • first cousin
  • nephew or niece
  • family member or relative of your spouse, civil partner or unmarried partner

Nannies from the EU will still be able to come to the UK post Brexit. But if they want to stay for longer than 3 months they will need to apply for a permit to stay []. This is free of charge and will most likely enable the nanny to stay for up to 3 years. If the nanny wants to extend the stay further then they would need to apply for permanent residency.

It is important to always check and take photocopies of the document proving that nanny can work in the UK from the European Economic Area (EEA). These documents would be passport (to check identity) and visas if needed - This is to check if you need a UK visa

To get email alerts and keep up to date on the status of EU citizens:

By using this website you agree to our cookie policy and personalising your online experience.