Au Pairs abroad

Not all countries in the world have an official Au Pair programme, although that doesn't mean that you cannot go as an Au Pair to these countries. On the whole there is less chance of this as not many families in those countries would be looking for Au Pairs and would probably not even know the meaning of Au Pair.


1) The Au Pair has to be between 18-28 years old
2) The Au Pair can come to Austria 6 Months twice (has to apply for a second permission after the first 6 months) within 5 years. The family has to inform the "Arbeitsamrkservice" 4 weeks before the first 6 months are over if the Au Pair wants stay up to another 6 months.
3) The family has to register the Au Pair at the "Arbeitsmarktservice" 2 weeks before the Au Pair is due to arrive and show the signed Au-Pair contract to get a so called "Anzeigenbestaetigung"


Australia does not have an official Au Pair program, however you can go to Australia as an Au Pair by obtaining a 12 month working holiday visa if you are between 18-30 years old and a national of one of the following countries:

UK, Canada, Japan, Ireland, The Netherlands, The Republic of Korea, Malta and Germany

Further information is available from any office of the Department of Immigration and Multicultural Affairs (DIMA) in Australia, or Australian missions overseas, or you can refer to the Procedures Advice Manual (PAM) which is available from the Commonwealth Government bookshops (telephone 008 020 049) in Australia



Conditions for the Au Pair

1) be between 18 and 26, with an additional condition that the Au Pair receives her work permit before being 26.
2) it is forbidden to take any other work in Belgium than the one of Au Pair.
3) the Au Pair must have finished secondary school. In case she applies before obtaining her diploma, a certificate of the school, stating she finishes her last year of secondary school is sufficient.
4) have a basic knowledge of the one of the national languages, which means French, Dutch or German. The language she has a basic knowledge of must be the language she wants to perform. It will also be the language, spoken in the family. If she speaks some French, she will go to a family where French is spoken and that will also be the language of the courses she will follow.
5) the girl must follow language courses regularly. The school where she follows the language courses must give every 3 months a certificate, proving she followed the courses.
6) the girl can not have obtained a work permit of any kind before in Belgium.

Conditions for the Family:

1) the family must assure the girl has her private bedroom, well accommodated.
2) the family must speak the language that the girl wants to lear and correct her when she makes mistakes.
3) families must take an insurance for the Au Pair for the whole duration of the stay. That insurance will cover illness, hospitalisation and accidents.
4) the family must give 1 day free/week minimum and 1 full week-end/month.
5) the family gives a pocket money of minimum 450 EUR/month. This pocket money will be put on a bank account, only for the girl. Nobody else can touch at that money.
6) the au pair can work a maximum of 20 hours per week.


1) the duration of the stay is 12 months
2) the Au Pair must obtain her work permit while she is in her country. When the work permit is ready it is sent to the Au Pair and a few other documents she can obtain her visa at the Embassy.
The ministry advises the work permit will be given within 4 weeks after introduction of the file.
3) if the girl is not happy in a family she can only change once to an other family.
4)When she changes to an other family, the duration can never go over 12 months. If she stayed for 2 months in the 1st family, she can only stay for 10 months in the second family.
A temporary residence of 3 months will be issued at the Consulate, which will be extended after registration of the Au Pair in Belgium. He/she has to register at the Belgian Community within 8 days of arrival and to apply for a identity card for foreigner.


Does not offer an Au Pair programme, but Au Pairs can legally work in the country under the Live-In Caregiver Program.

The Live-in Caregiver Program is a special program to bring workers to Canada to do live-in work as caregivers when there are not enough Canadians to fill the available positions. A "live-in caregiver" is someone who provides unsupervised care of children, the elderly or the disabled in a private household.

Successful applicants receive an employment authorisation allowing them to work in Canada as live-in caregivers. After two years of employment, program participants can apply in Canada to become permanent residents; they may be granted permanent resident status provided they meet certain requirements. Note: the two years of employment must be completed within three years of the caregiver's arrival in Canada.



Applicants must be between 17 and 30 years old.
1) Passport signed and valid for a period of 3 months after the last day of stay.
2).2..Long stay visa application forms completely and legibly filled out in French. Please print in black.
3).2..Passport size photographs glued on the form.
4) Employment contract signed by a " DDTEFP" (Direction départementale du travail , de l'emploi et de la formation professionnelle) depending on the French family residence ( + 1 copy ).
5) Student ID or proof of studies.
6) Letter of admission from a French school ( + 1 copy ).
7) Visa fee by money-order made out to "Consulate general of France" or certified checks. Cash is accepted only if you apply in person.



Foreign Au Pairs must be at least 17 years old. Foreign Au Pairs not from European Union may not yet be 25 years old on requesting the visa.

Foreign Au Pairs that are not members of a member state of the European union (EU), require a residence and a work permit for the Federal Republic of Germany. The residence permit must be requested before departure at the responsible German representation abroad (that is the embassy of the Federal Republic of Germany or a regionally responsible consulate) in form of a visa (visa). The Au Pair must be registered with an agency licensed by the BUNDESANSTALT FÜR ARBEIT. The entry visa requires the previous approval of the local authority for foreigners at the residence of the host family. The work permit is given on request by the locally responsible labour office. It presupposes the presence of a valid residence permit or their promise. Au Pairs that are not citizens of the European Union need a valid passport of their country of origin for the entry and for the duration of the stay intended. Citizens of the European Union need only have a valid identity card for the duration of their stay



Families living in the Republic of Ireland can only welcome Au Pairs from the EU or from the three following countries:

Iceland, Norway and Lichtenstein.

Au pairs from these countries only have to register with the Irish police when they arrive but do not need any work permit.

For Au Pairs coming from other countries it is possible to obtain a student visa if the prospective applicant is registered to study English at an approved language school. A student may hold down a part-time job to support themselves whilst studying. Part-time cannot be more than 25 hours per week. The immigration officials at the entry point however will always have the right to refuse entry should they believe the student is actually intending to work full-time.

Further information can be obtained from the Irish Government Department for Enterprise, Trade and Employment (work permit section): Tel: 00353 21 274099/ 00353 1890 220222.



For an Au Pair that comes from outside of the EU, the following documentation is needed to obtain a long stay visa:

1) certificate of enrolment (plus receipt of payment) at any Italian School or College where the Au Pair -to-be will be attending a course of Italian language. This school or College must be legally acknowledged ("legalmente riconosciuto") and the above mentioned certificate must be stamped by the local police. The visa will be issued for the length of time of the enrollment in school.
2) return air ticket.
3) "travel assistance" insurance and medical insurance
4) written statement of support signed by the host family which must be stamped by the local police.
5) written agreement between the Au Pair -to-be and the host family (which should specify the duration of stay, salary, study benefits, etc). The above must be stamped by the "Ufficio Provinciale del Lavoro", together with a permit issued by the local police. In some areas it is sufficient to just have this stamped by the local police.

The Au Pair Visa will be granted for study purposes. We have not experienced any age restriction on this visa, however it would be better to stay within the guidelines of 18 – 30.



1-Nationals of the EU can enter the UK without any formalities

2-Members of the commonwealth (i.e Canada, Australia, South Africa...etc) will need to obtain a holiday work visa, which is a straight forward procedure.

3-Nationals of the following countries can enter the UK on an Au Pair visa (maximum 2 years), if they are 17 - 27 years old inclusive and only need to produce their invitation letter from the family/agency on entry into the UK:  Andorra, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Faroe Islands, Greenland, Hungary, Malta, Monaco, San Marino, Slovenia and Switzerland

4-Nationals of the following countries can enter the UK on an Au Pair visa (maximum 2 years), if they are 17 - 27 years old inclusive and need to obtain the visa prior to travelling to the UK: Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Slovak Republic and Turkey.

US citizens cannot come to the UK as Au Pairs, the only way is to obtain a blue card from



The only legal way to go to the USA as an Au Pair is through one of six US designated agencies or one of their international co-operators such as Premier Global Aupairs & Nannies

The contract with the Nanny/au pair is for one year, as per the U.S. Department of State regulations and in accordance with the J-1 visa. The weekly spending money that is paid to the Nanny/au pair by the host family is $139.05. Qualified Nannies can earn between $200-$400 per week. The government also requires that the host family pay $500 in educational support for the Nanny/au pair during their one-year stay. The U.S. government requires that the Nanny/au pair work no more then 10 hours/day and no more then 45 hours/week.

If you are seeking a year in the USA as an aupair or nanny click on this link Premier Global Aupairs & Nannies. You can also print off direct the documentation you will need to submit.

Visit website for additional information.




Au pair must be single without children.

Medical Coverage: by national social security legislation, through the European Health Insurance Card (for EU citizens) or by private medical insurance to be arranged by the au pair (required for non-EU citizens).

Age: 18 to 30

Duration Maximum of 2 years

Travel: The aupair is responsible for travel expenses

AllowedCountries: All EU countries and non EU require a Visa

Worked Hours: Min. 30 hours a week

Typical payment: Min of 60€

Spanish Visa and Entry Requirements
EU citizens do not need a visa to be an Aupair in Spain. You do require a valid passport or an identity card. If you decode for longer than 3 months you must make this known to the Aliens registration authority.
Non EU Aupairs must present a valid passport, which will allow you to remain in Spain for a maximum period of 90 days.  In some cases you should apply for a visa from the Spanish Consulate in your place of residence. All this information is given through the Spanish Consulate in your own country.

Applying Student-visa for periods exceeding 3 months: You need to be enrolled in a Spanish officially-recognized, public or private academic institution in order to take courses before leaving your home country. Proof of payment of a medical insurance policy and providing evidence that you can afford your stay in Spain. However, you need to clarify this issue in advance with the Spanish embassy or Consulate.




Since 1 January, 1995, Sweden has been a member of the European Union (EU). The Immigration Regulations are therefore different for EU-citizens and non-EU-citizens regarding the requirements of residence and work permits. If you have any questions about regulations, please contact your local Swedish Embassy or Consulate General.

Residence Permits for EU/EEA Citizens
To enter and remain in Sweden for a period of less than three months, you need a valid passport or national identification card indicating your citizenship. If you intend to stay in Sweden for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit as soon as possible following entry into the country.

How to apply for a residence permit
You can apply for a residence permit through the Embassy or the immigration office near where you are staying. Application forms are available there. There is no charge for applying for a residence permit and it is ordinarily granted for a period of five years. You also have the right to accept employment immediately upon entering Sweden, without waiting for your residence permit to be processed.

Documents required when applying
When you apply for a residence permit, you must show a valid passport or national ID card. You must include, along with your application, documentation showing that you fulfil the criteria for one of the following categories:

  • employed persons
  • self-employed persons
  • consultants
  • freelancers
  • students
  • pensioners
  • members of the family of any of these categories.

If you apply for a residence permit through the Embassy see the conditions for Residence permit for non EU/EEA citizens.

Residence Permits for non EU/EEA Citizens
To enter and remain in Sweden for a period of less than three months, you need a valid passport or identification card indicating your citizenship. Visas are required for nationals of certain foreign countries. If you intend to stay in Sweden for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit that needs to be issued before entering Sweden.

How to apply for a residence permit
Applications for residence permits should be submitted to the Embassy or a Consulate in the country where the person is resident. Residence permits are initially issued for a limited period of time but you can apply for extensions at the Immigration office in Sweden.

The following is required when applying for a residence permit:

  • Make an appointment for an interview at the Consular Section of the Embassy. Please note that you may have to wait 2-4 weeks for an appointment.
  • Complete and sign an application form.
  • Attach one photograph to the form.
  • Show a valid passport or other travel document (will not be retained by the Embassy) and valid visa for the UK.

It takes approximately 2-5 months to process an application for a residence permit from the date of the interview.


Work permits are generally only granted to cover an acute shortage of specifically qualified personnel needed in the Swedish labour market. You must be able to substantiate your qualifications for the job you have been offered. A work permit does not entitle the holder to immigrate to Sweden or acquire Swedish citizenship.

Work permits are issued for a specific job which means that you may not change occupation or workplace without renewed assessment of labour market needs. Work permits are also time-limited and may not extend beyond the period stated in your application or beyond the expiration date of your passport.

If your work permit is valid for more than six months, your spouse may obtain a work permit for the same period without any assessment of the labour market.

Do I need a work permit?
If you are a citizen of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden, you must have a work permit sticker attached to your passport before you enter Sweden. If your stay is to exceed three months, you will also need a residence permit.

If you are a citizen of an EU-country, you only need to apply for a residence permit directly in Sweden within three months upon arrival.

How long does it take to get a work permit?
It usually takes between 1-3 months to process an application for a work permit.

How do I apply?
To apply for a work and residence permit, please submit the following to the Embassy of Sweden in London:

  • one completed application form SIV 1040.U
  • one passport size photo on colour or black/white
  • a valid passport
  • one of the following forms, either "Ansökan om arbetstillstånd -arbetsgivareintyg AMS PF 1704" or "Ansökan om arbetstillstånd Kulturarbetare AMS PF 1707", mailed to you by your prospective Swedish employer.

How is my application processed?
The Embassy will send your application to the Swedish Immigration Board in Sweden. You will be contacted when a reply has been received.

Once your application has been sent to the Swedish Immigration Board you are not allowed to enter Sweden until your permit (if granted) has been attached to your passport. If you enter Sweden before a reply has been received by the Embassy of Sweden you may jeopardize your application.

Please make sure that your passport will not expire during your stay in Sweden. Your permit may not extend beyond the expiration date of your passport.

Do I have to pay a fee?
You may pick up your passport in person, or it can be mailed to you. If you wish for us to mail it, please enclose £ 4.00 or a stamped self addressed envelope for registered mail.

Residence and work permits for students and au-pairs

To be granted a residence permit as a student, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Show that you have been accepted in a Swedish educational programme and intend to study in Sweden.
  • Guarantee that you can support yourself and will not be a burden on the Swedish social welfare system.
  • Have comprehensive health insurance that is valid in Sweden.

Students are granted residence permits for the period of their studies. If the programme is more than one year long, the Immigration Board will grant a residence permit one year at a time. The application process is different depending on if you are an EU/EEA citizen or not. For further information about these procedures see:
Residence permits for EU/EEA citizens
Residence permits for non-EU/EEA citizens

Au-pairs require work permits before entering Sweden (except EU/EEA citizens) and should follow the same regulations as for employed persons. They also require a residence permit. For further information about these procedures see:

Work permits
Residence permits for EU/EEA citizens
Residence permits for non-EU/EEA citizens



Applicants from any EU States are accepted though South Africans are still blacklisted. All relevant documents that the family need can be found at

You can work as an au pair in Switzerland for a maximum of 18 months. You will receive room and board with a host family in exchange for a maximum of 30 hours of weekly work (housework, baby-sitting, etc.). You have the right to one day off per week (at least one Sunday a month) and 4 weeks’ vacation per year (5 weeks if you are less than 20 years old). On average you will be paid at least 700 Swiss francs net per month (this may be more or less, depending on the canton). In some cantons your employer is also obliged to enroll you in a language school  and pay your health and accident insurance, as well as your language courses, although they can deduct up to 10% of your salary to cover the costs.


The Netherlands

An authorization for temporary stay (mvv) is a visa required for travel to the Netherlands if you plan to stay for longer than three months. You may want to study or live in with your partner in the Netherlands. During the application procedure for a mvv it will be determined whether you meet the requirements for residence in the Netherlands, before you arrive in the country.

A mvv is a sticker placed in your passport. You can apply for one at the Dutch embassy or consulate in your country of origin / residence. The mvv will allow you to cross the border in the Netherlands. Within 8 days of your arrival in the Netherlands, you must request a residence permit from the Foreign Police of the municipality in which you are residing of staying. The Dutch embassy will never issue a visa for a short stay (a visa valid for a max. of 3 months) if you intend to stay longer than three months.

You will receive a residence permit if you meet all of the requirements for residence in the Netherlands. By travelling to the Netherlands without an authorization for temporary stay (mvv), however, you risk being sent back to your own country if your residence permit application is rejected. You will have to pay your own travel expenses and will not receive a refund for your residence permit application fee.

Instead of applying in person, the person at whose home you will be staying (or the organization where you will be working) may ask the Foreign Police in the Netherlands whether you are eligible for a mvv. The foreign police will officially advise the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) of the Ministry of Justice.

The IND will then instruct the embassy in the appropriate country. The Dutch embassy or consulate will summon you to complete the procedure.

Most foreign nationals who wish to stay in the Netherlands longer than 3 months and want to apply for a residence permit must request a mvv in advance.

Some foreign nationals do not need a mvv to apply for a residence permit in the Netherlands.

Subjects of the following countries are exempt:

Citizens of Member States of the EUROPEAN UNION:

Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Luxembourg, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and the United Kingdom;

AND citizens of the following countries:

Australia, Canada, Iceland, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Switzerland (inclu. Liechtenstein) and the United States of America.

General procedure:

Apply for a mvv at an embassy or consulate of the Netherlands in your country of origin or permanent residence. Depending on the purpose of your stay, you will need to present various documents, such as a birth or marriage certificate. In addition, your sponsor can ask the foreign police in the Netherlands whether you are eligible for a mvv. Your sponsor may be the individual at whose home you will be staying or the organization where you will be working.

The diplomatic mission or the foreign police will ask the Visa Service for permission to issue a mvv. Although the Visa Service is part of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, it operates out of the Immigration a Naturalization Service (IND) of the Ministry of Justice in The Hague. This service will examine whether you meet all the requirements for coming to the Netherlands.

The Visa Service will then ask the police (in the town where you plan to stay) for information. The IND rules on your application on the basis of this information and sends it’s recommendation to the embassy. If your application is rejected, you may file a petition for review with the minister of Foreign Affairs, asking for a new decision.

If your application is approved, you will not automatically receive a mvv. The embassy will check whether you meet a few official requirements, such as possession of a valid travel document. If you meet these requirements, you can collect your mvv at the embassy. You must pay a fee for your mvv. Now you can leave for the Netherlands.

After arriving in the Netherlands, you must report to the foreign police within 8 business days. NOTE: a shorter period may be indicated on you mvv. You can request a residence permit (vergunning tot verblijf or VTV) there. You will have to pay a processing fee for your VTV application as well. In general you will need a mvv to apply for a VTV. Otherwise your application will be processed only if you can prove that you meet all requirements. If, however, you do not meet all requirements for obtaining a VTV, your application will be rejected immediately and you will have came to the Netherlands for nothing.

You will receive a VTV if you meet all admission requirements. The requirements concern, among other things, the income of the person at whose house you plan to stay. In addition, your presence may not pose any risks to the public peace or order or to national security.

By using this website you agree to our cookie policy and personalising your online experience.